Here are the instructions for installing a test build of one of our apps for iPad or iPhone. It’s not difficult but there are several steps that have to be taken, so what follows is an overview of what needs to be done, followed by a more detailed description.
These are the instruction for internal testing; when we move to the stage of external testing, any differences in the procedure will be appended to this page.
- First you will need to have an Apple ID; if you don’t have one, you will have to get one, which is a simple process.
- Then an administrator (probably me, Dennis De Mars) will have to add your Apple ID to the list of testers of the app you want to install.
- If the app TestFlight is not already installed on your device, you will need to install it.
- When your Apple ID is added as a tester, you will receive an email inviting you to be a tester. This email will have a link to your redeem code for that app.
- You will start TestFlight on your device and click the “Redeem” link at the bottom. Then you will enter the redeem code you got in the previous step.
So, that’s not so bad. Let’s go over the steps in detail:
1. Apple ID
If you don’t already have an Apple ID, you can get one at http://appleid.apple.com. The important thing to remember is that there is an email address and a password associated with the Apple ID. It is important that the email address is one that you have access to and can receive mail at. Apple actually recommends that the email address itself should be used as the Apple ID, although it doesn’t have to be.
2. Get your Apple ID added as a tester
Just email me at email@example.com when you are ready and I will add you to the list on our iTunesConnect account, which is where the test builds are managed.
You will receive two emails. The first is an email telling you that you have been added to our iTunesConnect account. You must respond to this email to confirm that you want to be added to the account. Until you respond to this email, I won’t be able to add you to the list.
Then, after I add you as a tester for the app, you will receive another email with the redeem code, which is the email mentioned in step 4 below.
3. Get TestFlight
Check if TestFlight is on your device. If this is the first time a test build has been installed on this device, TestFlight may not already be there. In that case, go to the App Store on the device , do a search for TestFlight, and install it on your device (it is a free app).
Check your email at the address associated with your Apple ID. You will get an email titled something like: “TestFlight: 7 Generation Games invited you to test [app name here]”
The email message will contain a link named “Start Testing” and clicking this will open a page in your web browser with your redeem code. You should save this redeem code, or else do this when you are ready to install the app on your device.
5. Install the app with TestFlight
Start “TestFlight” on your device. Near the bottom of the screen there is a link labeled “Redeem” Click this and you will go to a page where you enter the redeem code that you got in the previous step.
The app will start installing; when it is finished you will be ready to test. If possible, do this last step when you are somewhere with decent WiFi speed, since our builds can be kind of large!