Social Studies key terms and concepts videos and slides – free!
I know these are concerns for Social Studies teachers because our video on TeacherTube on history terms had been viewed 50,000 times before we inadvertently copied over it a month ago with the exact same video to include our logo – oops. It’s been viewed over over 500 times in the past two months, despite everyone being on summer break. The using timelines with B.C.E. video has thousands of views on youtube.
I know you are probably at the lake or barbecuing and you don’t want to think about the fall yet. When you, do, though, we’ll be here. If you aren’t signed up for our newsletter, it’s free and in August and September (for those of you who were too busy to read it in August), we’ll be sending out an organized list of all of our lesson plans and resources.
What do we mean by “masters of” ? What does the word “indigenous mean?
- What’s the word? PPTX slides History terms explained – ancient, masters of, empire – with illustrations. IN SPANISH: ¿Cuál es la palabra?
- What’s the word? in PDF – PDF IN SPANISH: ¿Cuál es la palabra?
Using a Timeline
If you’re a teacher, you probably know that timelines are actually a social studies standard, not math. However, that seems like splitting hairs to us. We’re all about teaching math in context and we know from experience that many students struggle with timelines that have dates before the year 0.
Solving timeline problems with years Before the Common Era (B.C.E.) – This video explains the meaning of B.C.E. and how to use a time line to find the number of years between two dates when one of those dates is B.C.E.
This short video is an example of solving a time line problem when one of the dates is B.C.E. and the other is A.C.E.
- POWERPOINT of this video Timeline example with BCE – Addition of negative values using timelines for clarification.
- POWERPOINT of this video IN SPANISH: Línea de tiempo con AEC
- PDF of this video Timeline with BCE – Addition of negative values using timelines for clarification
- PDF OF THIS VIDEO IN SPANISH: Línea de tiempo con AEC